Armchair Linguist

An amateur linguist drinks strong coffee and makes interesting observations about language from the comfort of his armchair.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Liverpudlian English

My parents run the neighbourhood store, so I get to hear a lot of local people talking. Though I grew up in Liverpool, I don't talk very much like a Liverpudlian, but I love the language nevertheless.

You get to hear all kinds of quirky variations from behind the counter. It is interesting, for example, that the semantic range of the word book includes what I would call a magazine. People come into the store asking if they can have "me books".

The second person plural is youse, pronounced yooz when emphasized or yuhz when the stress is elsewhere in an utterance. I am not sure how many other UK dialects have this feature, though I hear it mentioned often as a feature of New-Jersey-speech.

If I had my druthers, I'd go out someday with a tape-recorder and find out all the little quirks and habits that make the language of Scousers so special.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andii said...

New 2nd person plurals are an interesting feature. In southern US English "y'all" is in effect a new pronoun. It has a 'genitive' form "y'all's" and it is unsplittable: "Y'all are coming". It'd be interesting to find any other new pronouns...

13 July 2004 13:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In some variants of New Zealand English yous is also used.

25 August 2010 14:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home